In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
More Updates to the New Thumbnails Preview
Several weeks ago, we released a sneak peek of deviantART's new thumbnails. We've been making changes based on community responses, and today we've implemented a few more. In this updated version, the font, spacing, and colors of the text under the thumbs have been adjusted. Also, several members had concerns about the "frames" that were put around thumbs that were either extra tall, extra wide, or small images (such as emoticons and avatars). We've adjusted the visual display of these frames to make them less distracting.
Update: Fair Exposure and Popular Browse
Since the release of Fair Exposure, deviantART's algorithm for Popular browse results, we've noticed a concerted, dedicated effort made by deviants, or groups of deviants, to specifically beat (or "game") the system. This has, rightfully so, resulted in complaints from deviants who submit to deviantART in a fair and honest manner. In an article published earlier this week, we've addressed some of the community concerns, clarified our intentions of Fair Exposure, and explained how we are enhancing it.
- The Journal header in "extras" of the Journal submission was not retaining the data when posted. Fixed by shadowhand
- Film deviation pages had a non-functional share menu item. Fixed by mpsb
- The Critiques profile page widget not available to everybody. Fixed by drommk
- Various long standing and complex issues and edge cases with browsing between deviations using the "next" and "previous" buttons. Fixed by muteor
- A very rare condition was fixed where it was possible to submit an application for a group using the same name as another group. Fixed by muteor
- File type restrictions for some types in the customization gallery were incorrect. Fixed by mpsb
- Spacing issues on deviation pages were fixed. Fixed by drommk
- Photoshop file deviations were not displaying the correct preview image. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Some Opera-specific code was not run due to changes in browser detection for newest version of Opera. Fixed by lendrick
- Birthday menus in Message Center would not close. Fixed by shadowhand
- In Sta.sh, you can navigate through items using the left and right keyboard keys and then press "enter" to view the stack or item. You can now press "esc" key to exit it. Fixed by samshull
- When viewing one's own public shared stack, the hovercards weren't read-only as they should have been. Fixed by kouiskas
- Superbrowse key navigation stopped working when viewing someone else's stack through their private URL. Fixed by kouiskas
- Public view of a stack didn't display the owner's avatar. Fixed by kouiskas
- Fixed some issues with Command/Ctrl/Shift-clicking in Sta.sh. Fixed by kouiskas
- Public item links didn't have a correct page title. Fixed by kouiskas
- When switching between Sta.sh and Writer, the wrong background would flash for a brief moment. Fixed by adahacker
- When narrowing the browser to display a single column of items, hovering an item would cause the item below to disappear. Fixed by samshull
- Newly merged stacks using the file menu didn't remain selected. Fixed by samshull
- On a narrow browser window, the avatar would get cut off. Fixed by samshull
- Clicking into a stack and exiting quickly would sometimes cause the stack items to appear on the root page. Fixed by kouiskas
- Hovercards were sometimes staying on the screen once you've opened an item using the "enter" keyboard shortcut. Fixed by samshull
The following Sta.sh bugs apply to features that are only available to Beta Testers:
- On Writer deviations, GIFs and PNGs were missing the preview button. Fixed by adahacker
- Option menus could overlap each other. Fixed by adahacker
- The literature thumb shown on the new editor could be dragged to the collect bar. Fixed by samshull
- The share buttons were missing when looking at your own deviations. Fixed by samshull
- Visiting the Sta.sh sidebar section would break clicking on thumbs in all other sidebar sections thereafter. Fixed by kemayo
- Beta testers should no longer have issues with skins overlapping the Writer toolbar. Fixed by inazar
- Clicking links inside your skins (e.g. the username in the default) will no longer follow those links. Fixed by kemayo
- Fixed issues where the toolbar buttons did not display properly when moving through the document using the arrow keys. Fixed by inazar
- Link titles in IE8 were broken. Fixed by inazar
- When browsing through Journals in your Message Center using the "next" and "previous" buttons, it's sometimes not clear whose Journal you're reading since some Journal skins have hidden the author's name. From ^pica-ae
- Add the ability to put friends into multiple friends lists. ~LegionaireB in the Suggestions Forum
- Using suggestions from the past few weeks' Site Updates, =katara-alchemist put together a mockup of a new deviation page that includes a list of collections that a deviation is in and shows artwork you might be interested in after favouriting the deviation.
When writing Journals for a Group, how many of you use the collaboration tools available so that multiple admins can work together on a Journal? What collaborative features are missing? What collaborative features would you like to see added to Sta.sh?
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)