In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
- The Community Relations Newsletter for May and June is out! From Moonbeam13
- Editing a Portfolio briefly resulted in a redirect to an error page. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- In Chat, the emoticons link was not opening the emoticon window. Fixed by DEVlANT
- There was an increase of spam in the Forums which bypassed existing spam controls. Measures were put in place to better fight spam. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Quotes in deviation titles were breaking literature thumbnail previews. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- The deviantMEET widget initial month dropdown was one day short. Fixed by kemayo
- The Help Desk contact form did not accept some characters, resulting in silent error. Fixed by DEVlANT
- The "Give Points" modal layout was broken when used after Points were given. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Some typos were fixed on the My Earnings page and Gallery Stats. Fixed by DEVlANT
- Voting directly on the site Poll page resulted in an error. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- The "share deviation" button set was due for an update. Some logos and share scripts were out of date, in addition to Google+ and Pinterest being added a few weeks ago. Fixed by muteor
- Bugs in CSS parser allowed images to float outside custom boxes on profile pages. Fixed by kemayo
- The "preview" button for Groups Notes was not working properly. Fixed by DEVlANT
- Badly formed URLs to comment thread pages were causing an excessive server load. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Logged out members who visited the Support page had no easy way to sign in to post their reports. Fixed by shadowhand
- The wrong date range would get selected when using the "Wayback Browse" calendar picker. Fixed by banks
- A "Group Name is already taken" error message somehow was translated into just "-1". Fixed by muteor
- The mobile site Message Center was briefly broken. Fixed by ZombieCoder and kemayo
- Message Center Inbox message count per section was incorrect under some circusmstances, and would display the same count from one section to another. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Links to group blog entries within a stack in the message center were broken. Fixed by kemayo
- Group Message Center messages for comments left on group polls were not sent. Fixed by samshull and yury-n
- Changes have been made to the Resources & Stock Images gallery! Read more. Fixed by Moonbeam13
- In addition, the Fonts subcategory in Resources & Stock Images received a fleshing-out! Read more. Fixed by Moonbeam13
- An update has been posted regarding potential changes to the Macro Photography gallery. Read more. From Moonbeam13
- The restriction on the Rainmeter category to only allow .rmskin filetype submissions was not functioning properly.
- Request to allow .gif files in Wiggle category was made. Fixed by sgrahamUK
- Visual Poetry galleries no longer supported image file submissions. Fixed by Moonbeam13
- Some links to deviations from within Journals were not working properly and instead linked to the Journal entry itself. Fixed by kemayo
- Delete button in Journal entry edit mode was not functional. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Command-click on Journal titles in stacks did not open them in a new window as expected. Fixed by kemayo
- :dev: codes for changed usernames did not work in Journals under some conditions when both old and new usernames were present. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- In Journals, embedded YouTube videos did not load or play for some period of time. Fixed by kemayo
- Using the "next" and "previous" buttons while browsing through journals caused some minor visual issues on the page. Fixed by kemayo
- The Journal widget's "short entries" option showed full and not short entries. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- The signup modal used on deviantART Muro and other places sometimes failed to display proper error messages, resulting in generic error. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- There was an issue when you used the "undo" function immediately after deselecting content. Fixed by mudimba
- Indentation on comment replies went missing for a period of time. Fixed by samshull
- An unintentional border would appear on the full view of Sta.sh images. Fixed by samshull
- Sta.sh would previously autoscroll from the category selector to the title box after selecting a category when submitting a deviation; the autoscroll has been removed. Fixed by aMoniker
- Some folders could be dragged on Windows Chrome, creating broken items. Fixed by kouiskas
- Previewing a literature item would give a "forbidden" error page. Fixed by adahacker
- When copied and pasted directly into title, description or keywords, the text wouldn't save. Fixed by adahacker
- The file and edit toolbar mistakenly appeared for viewers. Fixed by adahacker
- Editing the title and description inline didn't work on public URLs. Fixed by aMoniker
- "Smart embeds" wasn't providing a pencil menu for deviations. Fixed by inazar
- Writer was saving immediately after loading a draft. Fixed by inazar
- Hovering over journalskin thumbs in the Journal/Writer sidebar made the thumbs jump around. Fixed by inazar
- Choosing "no skin" in Writer displayed the wrong preview. Fixed by kemayo
- Dragging stacks from the sta.sh sidebar in Writer is now properly disabled. Fixed by Alisey
- The Resources > Tutorials category was missing from the category menu in Writer. Fixed by Moonbeam13
Thanks very much for the feedback left on last week's update! We asked about favourites and collections, and here's what you had to say.
- Many users organize collections based on subject matter, while others organize based on the medium used.
- Users would like a search function within favourites, which unfortunately is not something we can implement without upgrading our search engine first. However, this is a common suggestion we receive, and it has been noted!
- We also mentioned one of Katara-Alchemist's visual suggestions, the response to which was quite positive!
- Users would like notification that a deviation is already in a collection when trying to add it to their favourites or another collection. From BabyKittypie
Deviants can make their resources, such as stock photos, tutorials, Adobe Photoshop brushes, textures and more, available through deviantART's resources gallery.
If you post resources, how do you like being able to share your resources through deviantART? Do you feel you get adequate feedback and return for sharing your resources?
If you use resources, how do you feel about the quality of the content you find on deviantART? How often do you use resources you find? What types of resources do you wish there were more of?
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)