In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes that have been made, including new features and bug fixes. In the "Your Feedback" section, you'll find suggestions and known issues that were brought up by members in the last Site Update
- Fixed a problem where some would be redirected to their Sta.sh when editing an old Journal. - Fixed by $kemayo
- When viewing Journals on member profiles and Group profiles, the "More Entries" button sends you to the next entries rather than the ones you just saw. - Fixed by $Nodren
- On the Groups Portal, the "Read More" button on Group descriptions no longer displays if there's nothing "more" to "read." - Fixed by $Nodren
- Fixed layout issues with the Channels page. - Fixed by $allixsenos
- Tweaked the Message Center layout so that long titles and a narrow browser window now play nice. - Fixed by $allixsenos
- Fixed multiple issues that sometimes caused modal windows to have an ugly white background. - Fixed by #ArtBIT
- Fixed a bug where some people couldn't switch out of the mobile version of deviantART. - Fixed by $helloandre
- Fixed an issue with Collections where dragging thumbs into newly created folders was not registering without a page refresh. - Fixed by $helloandre
- After an account has been deactivated, members are no longer restricted from signing up with the same email address of their deactivated account. - Fixed by $samshull
- When browsing on the front page while logged out, the "next" and "previous" navigation buttons now correctly skip over mature content artwork. - Fixed by #ArtBIT
- Fixed an issue that caused some display errors when dragging and dropping. - Fixed by $helloandre
- Improved Google Web Font detection for people who make Journal Skins. - Fixed by $kemayo
- Fixed the category selection button on original Journal submission form. It is no longer slightly cut off. - Fixed by $Alisey
What's New Bug Fixes
- Sharing from Sta.sh as a Note now links to the Sta.sh item instead of producing a non-functional :thumb: code. - Fixed by $kouiskas
- The "paper leaves" of the corners of stacks now show up correctly in Safari and Chrome. - Fixed by $kouiskas
- Made the button style more consistent on Sta.sh items. - Fixed by $kouiskas
- Right-clicking the "view" and "submit" buttons on a Sta.sh thumbnail to open a new tab or window now points to the correct URLs. - Fixed by $kouiskas
- Under some circumstances, members would get the deviantART login modal on Sta.sh, now they always get the Sta.sh one. - Fixed by $adahacker
- When merging items in Sta.sh, if at least one of the merged items has a non-default stack name, it becomes the name used for the merged item. - Fixed by $aMoniker
- For a short time, the controls when hovering a selected Sta.sh item weren't wide enough. - Fixed by $aMoniker
- Banned users now see a proper error page when trying to access Sta.sh. - Fixed by $kouiskas
- The "Edit in Writer" button is now always available on the top right corner of Journals and Literature created using Sta.sh Writer. - Added by $kemayo
- Searching twice in the sidebar would result in the second search not updating the set of thumbs. - Fixed by $kemayo
- Replaced the "empty literature" thumbnail image with a version showing empty text rather than a generic image. - Fixed by $kemayo
- Bumped the number of thumbs shown in the sidebar to 120 for everything. - Fixed by $kemayo
- Clicking a Writer document in the Writer sidebar no longer offers to load it as a draft; instead it inserts it as a thumbnail, but the pencil menu on that thumbnail has an "edit draft" option. - Fixed by $inazar
- Fixed a bug where the pencil menu on images inserted into Writer would not close when changing image size. - Fixed by $Alisey
- Stack thumbnails on Writer are now even better than last week, because they're not vertically squished now. - Fixed by $Alisey
- Sta.sh Writer now accepts all YouTube URLs, even if there are extra parameters on the end of the URL. - Fixed by $inazar
- Dragging on stacks/skin thumbs in the sidebar is suppressed, because letting them get dragged into the writer area resulted in broken images on submit. - Fixed by $inazar
- The Writer sidebar loading indicator no longer accidentally covers up artwork. - Fixed by $kemayo
- The "Friends" dropdown should be sorted by Friends Lists. - From =alpin-j
- Add the ability to add links in Critiques (for external resources, etc...). - From `ClefairyKid
- When searching and browsing artwork, add the ability to move to the next and previous pages of results by using the left and right keys. - From =excentricjester
- Add a "Last Edited" timestamp to Journals. - From =virgino0owhore
- There should be a "Remove from Favourites" button when browsing Favourites and Collections. - From *digitalkitty in the Suggestions Forum
- It's not possible for non-Premium Members to reply to a Critique, even if it is their own Critique. Thanks for pointing out, we'll fix this! - From *Wraithldr in the Suggestions Forum
- Increase the limit of deviations per page in the deviantWATCH section of your Message Center. - From =ArO113
- Group collapsed comments (hidden and spam) together. - From *psychoplumbers and =MissPinks
- `LostKitten provided some suggestions for watchers and friends lists: separating Groups from deviants in your friends lists, and consolidating the Watcher, Friends, Groups, and Recent Visitors widgets. See the following mockup:
Recurring feedback from previous Site Updates:
- Some members were frustrated and confused with the listing of groups on the "Submit to Group" modal on deviation pages. Currently, it lists out groups you've frequently submitted to (regardless of if you're still in the group) and groups you're an admin of, but some people suggested that it should just be a straightforward list of groups you're a member or admin of. - From `apocathary, ~Kracov, *Blooper-Love, ~velka, and others
- On Journal deviation pages, add the "Remove from Messages" option that appears on art deviations. - From ~PerfectDerealization
- After we added the ability to have "!" characters in deviation titles, some deviants requested other characters (such as & ? * " @ '  () ...). - From *PinkLace, *chriseastmids, *ninjatron, ~Alisbet, and others
- Bring back the functionality where Group admins receive notifications when Group Journals receive new comments.
- Various upgrades to deviantART's mobile interface, including Sta.sh support, Notes, ability to watch deviants, access to friends lists, etc.
- Add the ability to browse Journals in your Message Center using the "next" and "previous" buttons like you can with art deviations. - From *xPastxChaserx and others
- Some members asked that the browser upgrade notice be removed since they couldn't update their browser for various reasons.
Discuss These Ideas!
- Some members have brought up issues with the new deviantID widget. Several people suggested that the artist type was too restrictive and some members didn't want to display "Other" on the header of their profile. One illustrator had a concern with labeling herself has a digital or traditional artist when she was in fact both. A few members didn't like that their username was listed on their deviantID as well as on the top of their profile. What do you think? How could the new deviantID be improved?
Last Week's Idea Discussion
In the previous Site Update, we received some very helpful feedback about the ideas suggested by members of the community.
- Last week, the comment rating system created some interesting debates among members. People liked the idea of surfacing great comments, especially for Journals and Forums with hundreds and thousands of comments. However, many people had concerns with abuse, ganging up against people, and people not having the ability to voice an unpopular opinion.
- People suggested many Message Center improvement ideas, many of which pointed to the fact that people are overwhelmed. Some of the suggestions were: Sorting by art category or member, separating Group messages from member messages, realtime updating, setting priority to certain members (for example, your best friends or favorite artists), and watching only certain categories of members and Groups.
- Some members liked the idea of email notifications for messages and Notes, while others said they check deviantART too often for email notifications to be useful. Some would prefer a digest email. Customization of which message types you receive was requested by multiple members.
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)