In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Film Improvements (Beta Testers Only)
We've made two major changes to film on deviantART! First, film is now fully compatible with Sta.sh and the Sta.sh submission process, allowing you to store and post film deviations directly from your Sta.sh. Secondly, the film player has been overhauled, and the film deviation page has been updated and rebuilt to match the same layout other deviations have, for consistency, ease of use, and better overall appearance.
Sta.sh Writer and deviantART muro Improvements (Beta Testers Only)
We've made some awesome enhancements to deviantART muro as well! We've added several new tools, including the heavily requested Magic Wand tool! This comes with several enhancements to the overall selection and edit menu tools.
We've also added deviantART muro integration to Sta.sh Writer, allowing you to select and edit images in Sta.sh Writer documents directly in deviantART muro.
- On the Browse page, thumbnails did not always properly display in older browsers, such as Safari 5.0 and older, or Chrome 11 and older. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- The top and bottom borders for transparent thumbnails looked misaligned in IE9. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- The ellipsis-based title cut off looked wrong on some thumbs. This has been changed to allow titles to force the width of the box. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- The "background box" behind the thumbnails looked bad on backgrounds other than deviantART's standard color, such as on custom CSS in galleries and faves. It is now a slightly transparent white, so it blends with custom CSS better. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- Stored deviations would show a 404 error for their creators. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The Share button for Tumblr would open the Tumblr share tool in both a popup window and the original deviation window. Fixed by $drommk
- Margins on some types of journal deviation pages were either too wide or too narrow.Fixed by $Alisey
- On deviation pages, the text box on the Share modal for notes did not scroll. Fixed by $shahyarg
- Usernames were briefly not appearing under thumbnails in member Galleries and Favourites. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- oAuth app registrations lacked callback url whitelist requirements. This is an additional security measure that was brought to our attention by =Tristan128. Implemented by $ZombieCoder
- Some Groups were unable to update blog rules text field for blog module when configured with specific combination of permissions. Fixed by $DEVlANT
- Improper attribution and avatars would occur during Redraw playback. Fixed by $Nodren
- Uploading from the File menu wasn't working. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The £ character wasn't displaying properly in Sta.sh item descriptions and Sta.sh Writer items. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Zoomed-in images weren't displayed as big as they should have been. Fixed by $kouiskas
- RGBA is now allowed in more CSS rules for journal skins, notably borders. Fixed by $Alisey
- The friends picker in the Writer sidebar would occasionally overflow. Fixed by $Alisey
- Writer's page height would not adjust when a member clicked Journal Extras. Fixed by $Alisey
- Adding emoticons sometimes triggered a new line. Fixed by $Alisey
- Dragging in an emoticon put it in a pointless list. Fixed by $Alisey
- The Writer scrollbar would occasionally be too tall. Fixed by $Alisey
- Emoticons had the pencil menu and up/down arrows, which were unnecessary. Fixed by $Alisey
Thanks for the feedback on last week's Site Update!
- Deviants had positive feedback about the new mobile site!
- Feedback regarding mention notifications was mixed, if not cautiously positive. Most members said that they would like for it to be an option that could be turned on or off, even those who were positive about it as a feature.
- *SuperSachiko and =CursedBunny suggested that mention notifications could be limited to people you watch or people who watch you, and many members suggested other settings for notifications.
- Deviants would like the limit on avatar size to be changed to 25kb. Suggested by `ChrisGranger
- Managing the price of multiple Prints could be made easier, instead of having to do so individually. Suggested by *Tazzy-
- A filter to view deviations based on Creative Commons licenses would help deviants find artwork to create with that is open for them to use. Suggested by =Yobtaf
- Deviants with mature content turned off would like to be able to tell the difference between mature images and mature written work without viewing the work. Suggested by ~Bloodsong13T
- We appreciate the continued feedback about the new deviantART thumbnails. To clarify, we will not be offering an option to change back to the smaller thumbnails. We strongly believe in the new thumbnails and we will be moving forward with them. When building new features, every option that we offer adds layers of complexity. If there are two options, it can take twice the amount of resources to impliment adjustments, upgrades, and bug fixes. Simplicity makes a feature stronger and allows us to focus our resources on improving it rather than spending time making sure that both version of the feature actually work and are supported for each change that we make to the site.
Comments on deviantART are the primary way to interact with other members of the community on deviantART. As part of the new Film pages that were launched to Beta Testers today, comments made by the creator of a deviation are specifically marked out. This feature gives emphasis to an artist's responses and commentary on their own work.
Would you like to see this new feature extended to all deviations to differentiate the artists' comments from community comments and feedback?
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)