In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
View Note After Sending
Sometimes when we send Notes on deviantART, we want to reread what we just sent or confirm that it was formatted properly. Now, after sending a Note, you'll be able to view the message that was just sent.
Bugs, issues, and feedback from previous Site Updates
- Various modal boxes have been uplifted with new styles. Fixed by $muteor
- When browsing through deviations using the "Next" and "Previous" buttons, a bug caused the bottons to stop working when Sta.sh Writer deviations were encountered. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- Paging was broken in the group admin list of blocked users. Reported by *Fuhrer-Glasses and ~xHavick-Doptables. Fixed by $mpsb
- When uploading to Sta.sh by email, it now properly ignores attachments that are automatically included with some emails. Fixed by $samshull
- Members were sometimes accidentally getting redirected to the homepage when logging out. Fixed by $allixsenos
- The FedEx shipping option was briefly unavailable for deviantWEAR purchases. Fixed by $knightar
- Some literature deviation thumbs in the deviation picker had text escaping the box. Fixed by $shadowhand
- When configuring a Group, the pencil menu would lose positioning when previewing the widget and scrolling down the page. Fixed by $mpsb
- Replying to comments in the Message Center did not have proper rounded corners on the box. Fixed by $muteor
- The "Don't forget to add a comment!" bubble no longer appears on Flash deviations, as it used to cause a lot of flickering. Fixed by $mpsb
- Installable Journal Skins did not show as installed until the page refreshed. Fixed by $shadowhand
- Made the Help Desk contact form categories linkable. Fixed by $muteor
- The Help Desk form was briefly broken and displayed error if message was over 500 characters long. Fixed by $lendrick
- Comment counts were missing on Message Center stacks that had only one deviation in them. Fixed by $allixsenos
- Stored deviations no longer show a comment count underneath. Fixed by $allixsenos
- Uploading inside stacks wasn't working properly in IE. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Uploads in IE8 would often get stuck on the "stashing" image. Fixed by $adahacker
- Browsing through items using keyboard navigation wasn't functional when viewing someone else's stack through their non-public URL. Fixed by $adahacker
- In Safari and Chrome, the click area of the file upload button was too small after the first upload. Fixed by $adahacker
- The styling of the "file" and "edit" menus was slightly broken when holding the mouse button pressed. Fixed by $adahacker
- Sta.sh appeared empty to users who were using "flat" view. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Added smoother scrolling when the cursor is above thumbs. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Sped up the time it takes to load pages. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Very small images now have a clickable and hoverable area equal to the visual padding added to them. Fixed by $adahacker
- If a deviation by another artist was included in a Sta.sh Writer deviation, editing it would reset the selected category to Journals/Personal. Fixed by $kemayo
- Pressing backspace with an image selected would navigate back in IE. Fixed by $Alisey
- Deleting images in IE8 using backspace (without the image selected) would fail. Fixed by $Alisey
- In IE8 and IE9, small thumbs were inserted as invisible images. Fixed by $Alisey
- In Firefox, it was impossible to select the contents of input fields in the toolbar and sidebar. Fixed by $Alisey
- In Firefox, selected text in the writer was being completely removed when a link was added via the toolbar. Fixed by $Alisey
- The ability to create a custom "favourites" list of emoticons. From =katara-alchemist
- The ability to have private Collections. From =DaemonicFae
- Currently, when submitting prints, you have to click "more sizes" and choose the other sizes individually. It should be easier to simply choose all other sizes. From =XxFreakOfNaturexX
- When browsing an artist's gallery, deviations that are in quite a few folders have a large list of those folders under the thumbnail image, which can be distracting. From `Arete-Eirene-Phile
- Add a smudge tool in deviantART muro. From ~bloominglove and *BertieBert
- In deviantART muro, add the ability to change the size of the Canvas without having to create a new Canvas. From ^krissi001
- If you start with a small canvas in deviantART muro, it zooms in. Shouldn't it start at 100%? From ^krissi001
- An icon that shows if a member is new. "It would show that a new user might need help to navigate the site and all of its features. More experienced deviants could spot them easier and help them." From ~JosephAngelo
Discuss These Ideas!
Last Week's Discussion
There were mixed reactions to changing the username format from username.deviantart.com deviantart.com/username. Some people had opinions about the aesthetics of either. Some members said the current format being more "personal" and some said that felt like they "had their own site." Others argued that it was worth switching to slightly speed up browsing and make it easier to implement HTTPS Everywhere. Don't forget: your "old" address will work forever -- anyone visiting "username.deviantart.com" would automatically be moved to "deviantart.com/username" without them even noticing.
Username changes were a very hot topic and were strongly favored. Some members had concerns about username changes being confusing and made suggestions about how they think the process should work. We are continuing conversations about this internally.
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)