In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
New deviantART Mobile Site (Beta Testers Only)
One of the most common requests from the community has been to update deviantART's mobile site. By popular demand, we just launched a brand new version of the mobile site to Beta Testers! The new site is compatible with mobile browsers on the iPhone and Android phones and we'd love to hear your feedback!
- The Wallpaper link in the main menu led to a broken page in some browsers. Fixed by $allixsenos
- The Share tool for Facebook occasionally failed to fetch pages correctly for some deviations/users. Fixed by $drommk
- Sta.sh login was briefly unavailable. Fixed by $allixsenos
- The Edit button at the top of user Portfolios was barely visible. Fixed by $DEVlANT
- Super Group upgrades were unavailable over the weekend. Fixed by $allixsenos
- Ads on some deviation pages very briefly caused issues with the display for those deviations. Fixed by $drommk
- After the previously mentioned changes to moderation report notifications were implemented, issues were discovered regarding the ability of the user who filed the ticket to communicate with the Help Desk over tickets that required further information. This issue has since been taken care of. Fixed by $DEVlANT
- The displayed total for withdrawn user profits was not accurate under some rare conditions. Fixed by $KnightAR
- Files were not properly saved (or sometimes did not prompt to save) when a user left the page. Fixed by $mudimba
- The smudge brush could overuse CPU, leading to crashed browsers on some systems. Fixed by $mudimba
- Fixed error detection and user notification of certain save errors caused by intermittent network connectivity. Fixed by $mudimba
- If a user didn't agree to the submission agreement on first upload, the page title would be set to "undefined". Fixed by $kouiskas
- When opening a stack in a new tab from the "View" button, the new tab would load the topmost item instead of the stack. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Opening a page containing many items, viewing an item shortly after opening that page, then going back to the root/folder could result in many items disappearing from view. Fixed by $kouiskas
- After arrow-navigation or editing an item, the title and description on items would become unclickable. Fixed by $kouiskas
- When viewing a public stack, clicking on the title would open two pages. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Custom PCP licenses wouldn't save upon pressing Save & Exit. Fixed by $samshull
- All settings related to publishing an item to dA (downloadability, sharing, critique, resizing, category, etc.) are no longer displayed on or applied to Sta.sh items. These settings become effective once the piece is published to deviantART. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Any journal CSS rule that takes a color value can now use an RGBA value. Fixed by $Alisey
- The sidebar now looks cleaner when loading screens, and has a loading indicator. Fixed by $inazar
- Opening the Journal Extras box in Writer wouldn't adjust the height of the Writer box. Fixed by $Alisey
- Contents of the deviantWATCH list were breaking out from the Friends dropdown. Fixed by $Alisey
- Some skinned journals were rendering off the left edge of the screen. Fixed by $Alisey
- The "Upload Files" button in the sidebar would sometimes jump to the left when clicked. Fixed by $inazar
Thanks very much for the feedback left on last week's Site Update!
- Feedback regarding More Like This was mostly positive, though much like on the beta launch article, there were concerns voiced regarding Endless Scrolling.
- All of the member suggestions included last week were met with positivity! In particular, many users liked the suggestion about being able to list what tools were used to create art when submitting. =overseer mentioned that having an "Other" option for less commonly used tools would be helpful, as well.
Last week, deviants suggested:
- A selection/magic wand tool for deviantART muro. Suggested by ~Spottedpath45
- Formatting tools for comments on site. Suggested by ~NaesOne
- Limiting Group join request to one at a time per Group, so that Group admins don't have to deal with duplicate requests. Suggested by *Yoriden150
- An easier way to display the other websites they actively use on their profile. Suggested by ~VerticalForklift
- Increase the maximum amount of Correspondence messages displayed at one time in the Message Center. Suggested by *Championx91
- Better sorting for Correspondence messages, including sorting by pending, accepted, and declined. Suggested by =CoconutSky
You can use the :devusername: code to easily link to a member's profile anywhere on deviantART. However, there is no indication for a member when they are mentioned elsewhere on site, so unless they happen on it themselves, it could go completely unnoticed. This feature could also be helpful when you want to bring another member into a discussion. Would you like the option to be notified if a user mentioned you in a comment, journal, or forum thread? If not, why would you be opposed to it?
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)