In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update
Sta.sh Visual Refresh
Today we have released a visual refresh of Sta.sh
, deviantART's upload and publishing platform, giving it a cleaner, more modern look. One of the most apparent things you'll notice is a major change in the header, which is now white, to match the rest of Sta.sh. In addition, when viewing something in another user's Sta.sh, the topbar will display their icon and username, to indicate that you are in their Sta.sh and not your own.
In addition, we've made some major improvements to Sta.sh Writer
. There are now additional options in the menus, including a selection in the Edit menu that lets users toggle between rich-text and HTML mode, for our more code-oriented artists. And best of all, we've completely overhauled the Sta.sh Writer sidebar, making it more intuitive and simpler to use, giving you a great deal of additional options.
Introducing the First Ever Creative Grants Recipients!
On May 1, 2012, deviantART introduced the Creative Grants program
- a source of funding allowing artists to make creative dreams a reality. We're pleased to announce the first cycle of funding has ended, and from the over 500 applications submitted, the Creative Grants Board has chosen the recipients! These were the projects that the Board found exciting and innovative, and will benefit particularly from a Grant. Check out these amazing projects!
- Launched the Create A Story Contest for our birthday! Added by $shadowhand
- The ability to submit Group journals was briefly unavailable for some Groups. Fixed by $KnightAR
- Custom folder icons did not display for the newly released Gallery subfolders. Fixed by $muteor
- In the Message Center, the "View Original Comment" display did not adhere to the new comment signature style. Fixed by $muteor
- The Watchers number on Profile pages was not updating, and was different than the number on Gallery Stats pages. Fixed by $muteor
- Reduced full page reloading if items weren't changed. Fixed by $samshull
- Images with a transparent background were showing with a grey background. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Launched a custom undo/redo implementation. Added by $Alisey
- The "Apply" button for Journal skins wasn't working. Fixed by $inazar
- Alignment options in the Writer toolbar weren't working properly in webkit. Fixed by $Alisey
- Some members suggested that comment signatures should be slightly darker.
- Thanks for the feedback about Group galleries and Group favourites! It was really helpful to hear how each of you manage and submit to Groups differently. We will use this feedback as we continue to improve the Groups platform.
- The green subfolder bar should disappear when there are no subfolders created. Suggested by MissLunaRose
- In the Shop, it'd be helpful to see what a deviation will look like when printed on a Mug product. Suggested by Blue-Koi
- Alphabetize the Group drop menu on the submit page. Suggested by 8manderz8
- The "Random Deviation" feature should have the option of displaying only deviations within a certain category. Suggested by dweckie
- Add the ability to apply one CSS to all gallery folders at once. Suggested by Katara-Alchemist
- Group admins should be able to remove deviations from their group from the deviation page, rather than having to search for it in their Group's gallery. Suggested by Jenetikitty
- Group Notes should have folders like personal Notes do. Suggested by WindieDragon
- User Gallery layout to look the same as the Group Gallery layout, so that there's a preview of all folders from the main gallery page. Suggested by AnnaKirsten
- Limiting who can vote on a poll (i.e.. Groups limiting poll votes to their Members). Suggested by serel
Channels on deviantART
on deviantART are streams of art, which allow you to create a dashboard of your favourite artists, art types, and even search results. Do you use Channels? If so, how often do you use it, and have you set your own Channels, or do you stick to the default Channels provided? If you don't use Channels, is there a reason why not? What ways do you think Channels could be improved?
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)