In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
For Beta Testers: Thumb Grid!
Back in April we launched the new deviantART thumbnails to the Beta Testers. Over the last few months we've received a great deal of feedback from the community. We're always working to ensure that we put out products that are best for our community, and so today we'd like to announce some new options being added to these thumbnails to give you the best browsing experience.
When deviants submit artwork drawn in deviantART muro, they have the option to post their work as a Redraw, or as the original image. For many users, this was preventing them from viewing the full artwork when they couldn't or didn't want to watch the video. As of today, that problem has been fixed! A "Watch Redraw" button has been added to deviations that have redraw enabled, so that when a user opens a redraw deviation, they will be met with the completed artwork first, and can then choose to watch the redraw.
My Earnings is now accessible via the Shop dropdown menu in the site header. My Earnings lets you view your earnings from your Prints and Premium Content sales, and allows you to receive payments.
- "My Earnings Inquiry" has been added as a Help Desk category for all of your accounting questions. Added by $shahyarg
- The Prints FAQ has been merged into our main FAQ and is now searchable. Merged by $DEVlANT
- Outdated daily Help Desk tips have been removed from our FAQ. Fixed by $DEVlANT
- Social media "Share" buttons should now be consistent throughout the site. Fixed by $drommk
- For a short time, Journals submitted with the old journal submission page could only be submitted to the Journals > Personal category. Fixed by $KnightAR
- Voting on Gallery submissions in large Groups would sometimes time out or fail. Fixed by $randomduck
- Deviants were unable to select certain folders for Group Gallery submissions if those folders contained subfolders. Fixed by $muteor
- Prints in the shopping cart were losing their frame when multiple Prints of the same deviation were ordered. Fixed by $KnightAR
- An issue with USPS prevented international orders from taking advantage of our Free Economy Shipping promotion. Fixed by $KnightAR
- Various typos and layout issues with the Cart were addressed. Fixed by $shahyarg
- Notes to multiple recipients were not displaying all recipients. Fixed by $DEVlANT
- Discovered default thumbnails for literature deviations were getting overwritten by improper images. Fixed by sgrahamUK
- A Group's Featured folder will now appear in the Gallery Folders module on the group homepage. Fixed by $DEVlANT
- The Featured folder was unexpectedly showing up in the Gallery Folders column in member Galleries. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- Deviation notices would sometimes fail to deliver to a small portion of a deviant's watchers if they had a very large number of watchers. A special thanks to `Hellobaby and all of her watchers for exposing this bug and assisting us with troubleshooting it! Fixed by $randomduck
- Some issues that caused images to be corrupted in deviantART muro were fixed. Fixed by sgrahamUK and $mudimba
- Clicking on the Sta.sh logo while looking at a file in a stack only brought memebrs one level up, not all the way to the root. Fixed by $aMoniker
- The licensing dropdown would lose memory of its settings when reopened right away. Fixed by $aMoniker
- The labels in the licensing dropdown are now clickable. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Hovering on the menu above PDF items would make them vanish. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Page titles were inconsistent. Fixed by $kouiskas
- When loading a folder URL directly, the placeholder text for an empty description would be missing. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Category-related errors are now delayed until submission is attempted. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The File/Edit menus were getting stuck at the top of the page when opened on a scrolled page. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Pressing enter while renaming a stack wasn't working in all browsers. Fixed by $kouiskas and $aMoniker
- It was possible to enable Prints on Scraps under some conditions. Fixed by $aMoniker
- When turning on Critique, the editor didn't reflect the fact that it also turns on comments (which can then be disabled if needed). Fixed by $kouiskas
- Items that were originally uploaded as non-image files could be turned into broken image items by changing the main file to an image. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The preview area of published items lacking a preview image had the wrong background. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The "Collections" link was mistakenly appearing underneath the Sta.sh comment box. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The "More Options" link on a published deviation was styled improperly. Fixed by $kouiskas
- When editing a published deviation on a tall browser window, a mismatched background would be visible. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The title and description area of a stack would jump around when going in and out of editing. Fixed by $aMoniker
- Files uploaded as a stack would be in reverse order. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Changing the preview image of an item wouldn't update the preview until changes were saved. Fixed by $kouiskas
- When updating the main image or preview of an item and closing the editor, the item page and the preview in the Sta.sh root/folder wouldn't be updated with the new image. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The description box when editing an item would be wrongly sized with the handle in the wrong spot. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Reloading the URL of a published item with an #edit parameter would reopen the editor. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Pressing "Save & Exit" wouldn't visually convey that there is an ongoing saving process. Fixed by $samshull
- The pages icon in the header would look hovered when the mouse cursor was next to it. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Progress bars for embeds now become browser-default broken images if they fail. Fixed by $kemayo
- In certain situations, the WYTIWYG functionality of Sta.sh Writer would incorrectly parse some HTML. Fixed by $kemayo
- Writer titles have been restricted to the same parameters as valid deviation titles, so it is consistent. Fixed by $Alisey
- Hitting tab in the title field didn't take you directly to the main body. Fixed by $Alisey
- Embedding a "File" deviation produced a broken progress bar. Fixed by $Alisey
- Muro-created deviations had a blank "embed" code in the share menu. Fixed by $kemayo
- Undoing a drag and drop from the sidebar reverted the image to a progress bar. Fixed by $Alisey
Thanks very much for the feedback left on last week's Site Update! Here are some of the suggestions you left for us.
- Many users mentioned that they don't actively use Channels, and some did not know Channels existed in the first place, though several users mentioned wanting to use it upon hearing about it and how others use it.
- ~SandFan suggested that slide bars could be incorporated into Channels, so that users could effectively browse several topics from that one page.
- =FantasyLost suggested that users should be able to rename their Channels, so that they can easier identify each Channel.
- There were mixed feelings toward the suggestion of the user Gallery displaying the same as Group Galleries do. Several users would rather their Featured folder remain prominent.
- Users would like polls to remain visible after a Premium Membership expires, even if voting/commenting was disabled. Suggested by ~icytemporalist
- It would be helpful for a user's correspondence messages to display which folder their Group submission was sent to or requested in. Suggested by ~Blue-Koi and *sakky-attack
- Users would like to drag folders into other folders, so that folder and subfolder management is more fluid. Suggested by =Aty-S-Behsam and =justalittleknotty
- It would be nice for the slideshow feature to randomize the order artwork is shown in. Suggested by ~noneli
- Users would like to be able to see which Group Gallery folder a deviation is in from the deviation page, rather than having to go search for it. Suggested by ~dehydromon
- Submitting to Groups you are a member of should be part of the basic submission process. Suggested by ~isthisrubble
- Users would like to have a complete view of their Points transaction history, rather than just two pages. Suggested by =Snow-Body and =Hershey-Star-Lover88
Thank you for the feedback you left about Channels last week, it's greatly appreciated! For the users who do actively use Channels, some track new artwork in certain categories, and others track certain search terms. Some users mentioned that they would like Channels to be more prominent on site, perhaps by being incorporated into the Message Center.
- ^Elandria mentioned that she uses Channels to see what's been recently submitted to the Resources gallery, and also has channels set to find her icon or username to see what is created using her stock images.
- =rosaarvensis said she sets several different Channels to view several different categories and specific search terms, rather than having to actively go to each category and search.
- CrimsonReach mentioned using several Channels to see both new art and popular art on subjects she's interested in, so that the results she wants to see are on one page, rather than having to toggle between newest and popular on the Search page.
In addition, several users mentioned that they would use Channels more actively if they were more prominently displayed on site. With these options in mind, would you be more inclined to use Channels? If you wouldn't use Channels in the ways mentioned here, but still do/want to use Channels, how would you use them? If Channels were made more prominent, where would you like to see them?
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)