In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes that have been made, including new features and bug fixes. In the "Your Feedback" section, you'll find suggestions and known issues that were brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Comment Counts Under Thumbnail Images
Two weeks ago, we released comment counts under thumbnail images to Beta Testers. Today, the feature has been rolled out to everyone. We believe that this feature adds more context to the experience of viewing artwork on deviantART. You'll now find comment counts underneath the thumbnails of deviations -- they can be seen when browsing or searching art, and also display in your Message Center. We hope this feature will help bring to light the fact that there is a whole world of activity that takes place behind thumbnails. In some cases, when a thumbnail displays many comments, it can be a trigger to join the discussion. While in other cases, if a deviation is in need of comments, it can be a call to action for a viewer to provide feedback or encouragement.
Gallery Folders Under Thumbnail Images
When browsing an artist's gallery, the folders that their deviations are categorized under are now listed under the thumbnails, giving viewers more context to their artwork.
"Flip Canvas" Tools in deviantART muro
In deviantART muro, we've added the ability to flip your canvas horizontally or vertically. These two options are located in the "Edit" menu.
File and Edit Menus in Sta.sh (Beta Testers Only)To make managing your Sta.sh easier we've added File and Edit menus into the header of Sta.sh. This feature is currently available to Beta Testers. If you have feedback on the feature, please leave it on the #devbug blog.
Premium Members, if you'd like to test this new feature, you can enable Beta Testing in your Settings.
In Sta.sh, all members now have the ability to add descriptions to stacks. Write some notes for yourself or write an introductory description before you share a stack with your friends.
- With its new home right in the top-level Customizations category, the Emoticons category has a brand new structure!
- Non-Premium Members can now comment on Critiques. Thanks for pointing that out, *Wraithldr! Fixed by $mpsb
- When you preview comments, Notes, or deviation descriptions, links were not underlined, which made it difficult to distinguish from regular text. Fixed by $mpsb
- A few members pointed out that the "Recent Activity" dropdown on profiles was not displaying properly in the newest version of Chrome. This has been fixed. Fixed by $mpsb
- Dates were wrong on some affiliation messages in the group message log, which was pointed out by a few members in recent Site Updates. Fixed by $lendrick
- Gifting prints through Wishlists was broken for short period. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- Changes were made to category structure of emoticons. Fixed by $lendrick
- The Poll widget had layout issues when configuring it. Fixed by $ZombieCoder
- The "give" menu button on profile page was not responding to clicks in the newest versions of Chrome. Fixed by $lendrick
- The highlight feature went awol from the Shoutbox, but now it's back! Fixed by $mpsb
- Over a period of several hours, some deviations' full views were not always loading. Fixed by $allixsenos
- When selecting items with the keyboard, the browser wouldn't scroll to follow the selection. Fixed by $kouiskas
- When selecting items with using the keyboard, pressing enter now allows you to open the stack or the item. Fixed by $kouiskas
- The page could break when clicking "Back to Sta.sh" quickly before the stack had enough time to load. Fixed by $adahacker
- Improved the behavior of the Files tab in Sta.sh. Fixed by $adahacker
- The top menu used to flicker in IE8. Fixed by $adahacker
- An image in the top menu was causing a mixed HTTP/HTTPS warning when the page was loaded in IE. Fixed by $adahacker
- Under some circumstances, cancelling the renaming of a stack would have caused an false error message. Fixed by $adahacker
- The Sta.sh login form was unexpectedly switching background colors throughout the login process. Fixed by $adahacker
- The short URL fields displayed on thumbs for copy and pasting purposes no longer allow you to accidentally type text into them. Fixed by $adahacker
- Fixed some display issues when uploading a stack in Chrome and Safari. Fixed by $kouiskas
- Fixed an IE8 bug that occurred when hovering over the header. Fixed by $Alisey
- Safari and IE weren't stripping out hidden data when copy and pasting from Microsoft Word. Fixed by $Alisey
- When pasting markup, it will no longer wrap every single line in a div tag (hopefully!). Fixed by $Alisey
- Undo didn't work after adding an image. Fixed by $Alisey
- The Pencil menu on draft thumbs will now give an "edit draft" option. Fixed by $inazar
- There was a brief Firefox bug when editing old documents. Fixed by $kemayo
- Add pagination to the Journal History widget. From ~Mauser712
- Ability to search artwork by color. From *Nightphoenix2
- Thumbs of tall or wide deviations do not display the artwork well. (We have a surprise coming that should make this a lot better!) From *Talty
- An analytics tool that can give you more detailed information such as traffic to your deviations and profile, daily stats, and tools to analyze your audience. From =Mary-Jane-Stokely and TimberClipse
- Journals in Sta.sh Writer can be labeled as "mature content." Some deviants would like to do the same with Journals submitted outside of Sta.sh Writer. From `vsconcepts
- Publicly display keywords on deviations. This could encourage artist to be smarter with the keywords they add. It would also allow members to click the keywords and explore similar deviations. From ~EnlightenU in the Suggestions Forum
- Add page numbers to Scraps and Galleries. From ~Mauser712 and ~panictowel
- When using Sta.sh Writer to compose a Journal, your work is automatically saved to Sta.sh. Deviants would like this functionality on Journals submitted outside of Sta.sh, since sometimes it's easy to accidentally leave the page and possibly lose your progress. From `TimberClipse
Discuss These Ideas!
- Profile URLs becoming deviantart.com/username. We're discussing the possibility of changing profile URLs from the username.deviantart.com format to deviantart.com/username. Of course the old addresses would automatically send you to the new addresses. There are several technical advantages to making this switch which would speed up browsing and make the site more stable. This would also make it easier for us to offer a "HTTPS Everywhere" security mode. How do you feel about this change?
- Username changes. We've discussed username changes in our past Site Updates and if you're someone who is interested in the username changes topic, then don't forget to vote on the current deviantART poll: If given the opportunity, would you change your deviantART username?
Last Week's Discussion
Last week, we asked for people's feedback on the new Artist Types listed in the new deviantID widget. We'd like to thank you all for providing your feedback and contributing to the conversation. We are taking all the information into account and we are still discussing this matter internally. Thanks!
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)