In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
New Sta.sh Submit Interface (Beta Testers Only)
Sta.sh, deviantART's upload and publishing platform, has a redesigned submission process! This new version, which is only available to Beta Testers, includes a simplified and tidier interface that makes it easier to understand and use. In addition to the visual changes, we also added the ability to submit to multiple Gallery folders.
New Sta.sh Writer Toolbar (Beta Testers Only)
Formatting in Sta.sh Writer just got easier! Check out the brand new Writer toolbar, which includes new functionality such as headings, lists, and text alignment! Though these formatting styles worked in the previous version of Writer, they could only be used if you manually typed in the HTML or copy and pasted from another application.
- When using the "next" and "previous" buttons to browse through "newest deviations" and "newest favourites" from the Profile Page widgets, the "back" button was not working properly. Fixed by shadowhand
- Search on chatrooms page was slow and caused excessive stress on the database. Fixed by shadowhand
- A minor display issue about long Group names in the Message Center has been addressed. Fixed by ZombieCoder
- Some Group Profile Pages did not list all Journals in the "recent journal entries" module. Fixed by allixsenos
- Group administrators lost ability to edit settings for the blog widget on the Journal tab of Groups for a short time. Fixed by helloandre
- The Journal Skin editor modal appearance was severely dated. Fixed by mpsb
- deviantART's oEmbed API had several corner cases where it was not fully compliant with the specifications. Fixed by drommk
- Some links on automated emails were not working properly. Fixed by drommk and ZombieCoder
- When editing an item's title, the box now expands vertically as you type and never shows a scrollbar. Fixed by samshull
- Updating the main image of a deviation that was submitted from Sta.sh now correctly updates the EXIF information. Fixed by kouiskas
- When selecting only one item, broken hovercards would appear on other items when they shouldn't have been shown. Fixed by samshull
- When the last row of items had only one item, hovering it would make the pager jump. Fixed by samshull
- Clicking on the title of a thumbnail in Writer would open the deviation instead of adding it to the piece. Fixed by kouiskas
- Added a new preview and share buttons on the header of Sta.sh items. Fixed by kemayo
- Reloading writer reopens your current draft instead of creating a new one. Fixed by kemayo
- Links clicked in the writer preview window now open in a new window. Fixed by kemayo
- Uploading from the Sta.sh toolbar stopped working. Fixed by aMoniker
- Sta.sh had upload errors in IE8. Fixed by inazar
- Writer toolbar showed the underline button highlighted when a link was focussed. Fixed by inazar
- Pasting a deviation to move it within Writer would reset its width and height. Fixed by Alisey
- Dragging deviations from the sidebar not onto writer would result in them reverting back to a weird position. Fixed by Alisey
- Dragging and dropping Sta.sh thumbs was generally broken in IE. Fixed by Alisey
- The non-Sta.sh Journal editor now gives the "put-art-here" hover indicator to everyone rather than just subscribers, since thumbnails are not restricted to just Premium Members anymore. Fixed by kemayo
dj-corny suggested that the deviantART navigation should stick to the top of the screen when scrolling down the page so that it's always available.
TanyaSimoneSimpson created of visual mock-up of advanced Poll settings, which includes the ability to close a poll and limiting voting to certain groups of people.
In the Suggestions Forum, theOrangeSunflower brought up the idea that there should be a way to view all collections that a deviation is in. This would not only be a great way to discover new artwork, but it'd also make collections more visible and encourage members to curate their own collections.
Have a suggestion, idea, or feedback? Leave a comment on this article!
Find a bug? Report it to the Help Desk! (Be as detailed as possible!)